MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
Uli Loichle

Precalculus Syllabus


Teacher: Mrs. Loichle


Course Description:  The course prepares students for further study of mathematics in calculus. Precalculus involves a more in-depth study of algebra and trigonometry, and their uses in the real world.  Topics included in this course are functions and their graphs, trigonometry, linear systems and matrices, sequences and series, analytic geometry, (conics and vectors), limits and an introduction to Calculus.  Successful participation in this class will prepare students for the ACT Math Test.  Real-world applications of mathematics and problem solving will be emphasized.


Prerequisite Course(s) Students enrolled in this course should have successfully completed a course in Intermediate Algebra, Geometry and Advanced Algebra.  


Grade Standards: Your grade will be based on the following grade standards:


Overall % Grade

93-100 A

90-92 A-

87-89 B+

83-86 B

80-82 B-

77-79 C+

73-76 C

70-72 C-

67-69 D+

63-66 D

60-62 D-

0-59 F


Two categories-assignments and test scores-will determine your grade.  The assignment portion of the grade will account for 25% of your overall grade and your test scores will account for the remaining 75%. 



Textbook Title: Precalculus With Limits-A Graphing Approach 5th Edition,
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin: Authors: Larson, Hostetler, Edwards
ISBN-13: 978-0-618-85152-2; ISBN-10: 0-618-85152-6


Required Materials Students are expected to have access to a textbook, keep a math notebook and have a pencil.


Additional Help I am available most mornings and 2nd lunch to help students. Please let me know in advance if you intend to come in to ensure I’m available.  You can also visit the Math Center, room 235.


Assignments: Assignment sheets will be posted on a Google Classroom page.  Students will submit these assignments for grading through Google Classroom. Unless otherwise noted by Mrs. Loichle, students are expected to have each assignment ready to hand in the next school day after it is assigned.  Assignments are to include both the work AND the answer.  


Tests Exams are given roughly every two weeks.  Prior to the administration of a test, students will be provided a practice exam along with worked out solutions for the problems.  Practice tests often contain more questions than the actual tests.  Tests tend to be remarkably similar to the practice tests. Due to the system of practice test/test, retaking a test to earn a better grade will not be offered.


Late Work and Dropping a Test Student’s with excused absences are expected to submit their assignments when they return to class.  Requests for extensions should be made as soon as possible.  Assignments which are turned in on time and are complete with work shown will receive full credit.  Assignments turned in after the deadline but before the section test is taken will receive partial credit.  No assignments will be graded AFTER the test has been administered.  


Students who have submitted all of the quarter’s assignments before their exams will have their lowest test score for the quarter dropped from their grade. 


Classroom Rules No food or drink in the classroom.  

No cussing or vulgarities will be allowed.

Keep your phone in your backpack.  

Enjoy class but don’t let your enjoyment keep yourself or others from learning.


does this fire?!