MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1992-1993 Varsity Team Photo: Back Row: Coach J. McGInness, S. Regan, M. Tierney, M. Dykes, E. Gargione, B. Reite, K. Davis, K. Pratt, A. Diaz. Middle Row: R. Brody, Z. Rollins, M. Wolters, J. Angus, E. Lovrien, A. White, M. MacLeod-Roth. Front Row: M. Bartel, K. Regan, E. Searle, S. Barten, M. Neiman.

With the start of the 1992-1993 soccer season, a milestone was reached.  Head Coach Joe McGinness became the person who has led the Tigers longer than any other coach in school history.  Five years does not seem like much, however, the soccer program is only entering its 11th season in existence. 

To celebrate the milestone, the Tigers started the season with a four-game winning streak, shutting out all four of their opponents.  The first, an maybe most meaningful win in the streak was the first game, against Southwest.  Both teams played a fierce contest with the Tigers edging the Lakers 1-0.  Against, North, the Tigers had an easier time, winning 7-0.  Edison was no match for the Tigers.  South seemed to score at will, winning 21-0!  The Tigers were “held down” by Roosevelt, winning only 7-0.

South and Washburn faced off on September 18.  In an upset, the Millers took home the win, 2-0.  South easily beat Henry 7-0 to end the first half with a 5-1 record.

South opened the second half with a 2-0 win over Southwest.  North also fell 8-0.  Edison shocked the Tigers, playing a hard game and holding the Tigers to only one goal!  South won, 1-0. Roosevelt also fell, losing 3-1.

This set up a match-up for the conference title against Washburn.  On October 5, Washburn lost to Southwest 1-0, making both South and the Millers tied for the conference lead.  With only one game remaining, whoever won this game would take the title.  Both teams played hard.  One goal was scored.  Who scored it?  Who won?  South took the game 1-0, clinching a tie for the conference.  Henry would play a major part in deciding the conference title since both the Millers and the Tigers last game was against the Patriots.

On October 12, Washburn and Henry faced off.  Washburn won, forcing the Tigers to win their game with the Patriots on October 14.  Both team came out wanting to prove they were the better team.  Early on, the teams played a close contest.  However, South broke through with a goal.  They scored four more and won the game 5-0, clinching the conference championship alone.