MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1990-1991 School Year

Team Picture Not Available

The 1990-1991 basketball season was one of hope.  After finishing 6-6 the prior year, the Tigers hoped to improve and move up in the standings.  The team was very young and inexperienced.  The team’s improved conference record was credited to the challenging practices Head Coach Kevin Anderson demanded and the support teammates gave each other when spirits seemed to be low.

The Conference season opened with a thrashing of Southwest, 68-39.  This led into the next game, against defending conference champion, Roosevelt.  The Teddies beat the Tigers in the last six meetings.  This game was back and forth, but when the final horn sounded, the Tigers were on the losing end of the score by a slim one-point, 43-42!  This gave the team encouragement for the rematch that maybe, the losing streak would end against the Teddies.

Henry and North were the next two opponents.  Both teams lost, by also the same score.  Henry went down 67-43, while North lost 67-45! Edison was the next victim of the Tigers, losing 56-38.  The first round ended with a three point victory over Washburn, 48-45.

The beginning of the second round saw the Tigers face the Lakers.  After the blowout of the first game, the Tigers seemed to take the Lakers lightly.  Southwest shocked the Tigers winning 46-41. 

The next game was the rematch with Roosevelt.  The Teddies were undefeated coming into the game.  The Tigers lost two.  Like the first game, this was a back and forth event.  Lead changes were frequent.  When the final horn sounded the score was 42-40.  After seven straight losses, the Tigers finally beat their arch-rivals!  This put the Tigers one game out of first place.

Three more wins followed against Henry, 60-45, North, 75-31 and Edison 63-47. 

The last game of the season pitted South against Washburn.  A victory coupled with a Roosevelt loss to Southwest would give the Tigers a share of the conference title. Like the first games against Washburn, it was a close contest.  Both teams hustled and wanted to win.  The final score was 60-54.  The Millers crushed the hopes of the Tigers.  Later that evening news came that Roosevelt won their game.  The Tigers finished with a 9-3 conference record, good for second place.

Overall, the team was 12-10, 3-7 in a tough non-conference schedule.  Among the scores were a 62-39 victory over St. Paul Central and a 70-47 loss to Cretin-Derham Hall.