MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1982-1983 School Year
1982-1983 Varsity Team Photo: Front Row: Nancy Burkhardt, Tanya Bouska, Michelle Sommers, Greta Hanson, Paula White: Middle Row: Kat Hawbaker, Margaret Beier, Marg Jaede, Chyrise Bay, Renee Thompson, Sarah Kreft. Back Row: Tamara Munzer, Jill Speiser, Sheila Speltz, Karla Barte, Jill Stever, Marjorie Czaia, Head Coach Steve Hard. Not Pictured: Janet Arones, Deanna Winick

For the first time in history, South fielded a women’s soccer team.  The team was inexperienced, with many playing for the first time.  Compounding matters, during the summer, a number of Minneapolis high schools closed, bring in influx of students, mainly from Central and Marshall-University to South.  Some of the players from those two schools had experience on their old school’s club teams. 

Steve Hard was hired to be South’s first head coach.  He was quoted in the 1983 South yearbook as saying, “There are three objectives to soccer, to have fun, learn soccer, and to win.”

South played their first conference game against Edison.  The Tommies played hard against the Tigers and one goal decided the game.  South won the first game in the history of the school, in their first game they ever played! The final score was 1-0.

South took on Southwest a few days later.  Like the first game, one goal decided the game.  South won for the second time.  The final was 2-1.

South had an easier time with their next two opponents.  Both games ended in shut outs.  Roosevelt fell 5-0.  Henry was next to fall, 8-0.  Four games were played and the Tigers goalies recorded three shutouts.

South faced Washburn in the next game.  Both teams were undefeated in the Minneapolis conference.  South learned they were not ready for the “big time.”  The Tigers lost their first game by a blowout, 12-0.

South took out their aggravations for the loss against Edison.  The Tigers seemed to score at will on their way to a 14-0 win.

Southwest was the next team to lose.  Southwest played a closer game than Edison, but was still shut out, 5-0.

After the earlier defeat of Roosevelt, the Tigers believed the Teddies would be an easier target.  The Teddies improved greatly, but still lost.  The final was a much closer 2-1.

In the second to the last game of the season, the Tigers played Henry.  The final score was not reported, but South defeated Henry for the second time of the season.

The last game of the season pitted the first and second place teams.  Washburn was favored because of their earlier win.  A win by the Tigers would put the teams in a tie for the first conference title.  Washburn took the title with a 10-0 victory.

Unfortunately for the Tigers, they had to play Washburn in the Region 6 tournament.  For the third time this season, the Millers defeated South.  The Tigers’ season ended with a 6-1 loss.

South finished the conference season with an 8-2 record in second place.  Three players were named to the All-Conference team, Marg Jaede, Renee Thompson, and Paula White.  Three other were named honorable mention, Margaret Beier, Kat Hawbaker and Jill Speiser.