MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1982-1983 School Year
1982-1983 Varsity Team Photo: Front Row: Trong Huynh, Ned Prescott, John McQuiston, Stevve Brick, Jon Heath, Mike Baker, Pat McQuiston, Sid Vixayvong, Peter Barte. Middle Row: Sott Wollak, Andrew Hargens, Tom Sell, Andy Caranicus, Tim O;Brien, Brian Armijo, Chris Starr, Ken Chastain, Bue Ly. Back Row: Head Coach Ron Tungseth, John Degan, Jim Drake, Mark Pallatt, Jason Tidwell, Nate Teske, Ethan Conroy, Dan Roy, Jesse Tidwell, Chareunesouk (Souk) Chanthatouk. Not Pictured: Scott Aydinalp, Anders, Forsman, Chang Lang, James Lenfesty

For the first time in school history, South participated in the Minnesota State High School League soccer competition.  With the closure of a number of Minneapolis high schools, South had an influx of students who were at other schools.  So, the 1982-83 squad was composed of experienced players from Marshall-University’s club team and newcomers to the sport from South and Central.  Ron Tungseth was selected to be the first head coach for the squad. Co-Captains for the season were Nate Teske and Chip Starr.

The first conference game South ever played was against Edison.  In a close match, South won their first ever conference game 2-1. 

South took on Edison for their second game.  Another close match saw Southwest win a 1-0 shutout.

Three close matches in a row for the Tigers, this time against Roosevelt.  The Teddies edged South 3-2.

The first blow-out game was against Henry.  The Patriots were no match for the Tigers as South easily won 10-1.

Washburn won easily 6-1 in the next match.  This was followed by an easy South win over North, 8-2.

In the second round of games, South and Edison tied, 1-1.  Southwest then defeated the Tigers 2-1, as did Roosevelt 1-0.

Against Henry, South again won, but by a much closer 3-1. This was followed by a 6-2 loss to Washburn.  The game against North was cancelled.

In the Region tournament, South drew Roosevelt.  The Tigers held the Teddies scoreless through regulation.  The unfortunate aspect was that the Tigers did not score either.  So the teams entered sudden death overtime.  The Teddies eventually scored and took the game 1-0, ending the Tigers’ season.

In the Minneapolis City Conference, South was 4-6-1, which put the Tigers in fourth place.  Overall, the Tigers were 5-6-1. Two Tigers were played on the All-Conference squad, South Chanthakoun and Chop Starr.  Two others, John Degan and Sid Vixayvong, were named Honorable Mention All-Conference.