MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1962-1963 School Year
1962-1963 Varsity Team Photo: Front Row: Wogslund, Heath, Newsom, Doble, Swanson, Magnell, Perkins, Capra. Back Row: Coach Mona, Denbeste, Ronnander, Viking, Pumper, Bulander, Dahl, Bolin, Coach Butterwick.

Going into the 1962-1963 season, the team knew they would have a hard time competing with the other schools in the conference.  Last season’s co-championship team lost four starters to graduation, so most of the starters have had very little experience.  Jerry Newsome and Earl Doble would be relied on for leadership.

The Tigers opened the season against Henry.  The team played hard and came away with a 45-39 victory.  The team was more convincing in their game against Edison.  Playing a tight defense, the Tommies were limited to 32 points, while the Tigers scored 43.  The team then stepped away from the conference to play St. Paul Harding.  Harding proved to be no match for the Tigers, losing 66-51.  The team would stop for Winter Break after playing Roosevelt.  This was an exciting game that came down to the final seconds before South won 44-42.

The team returned from break rejuvenated and ready to take on the remainder of their schedule.  The team opened against Washburn.  The Tigers pushed the Millers to the end of the game and won 53-42.  South continued winning in their game against West.  The Tigers won by a comfortable nine points 56-47.  The margin of the games seemed to shrink in every game they played.  Against Southwest, the Tigers only won by seven, 51-44.  South finished January with their most convincing

The Tigers won seven straight conference games going into February.  The conference lead was crowded with five teams having legitimate shots at the title.  North, also undefeated, was the Tigers’ first opponent in February.  This was a very close game with the Polars coming out on top 46-40.  The Tigers hoped to get back on the winning side against Marshall.  Marshall only won three games all season, and one of them was against South in a major upset, 50-48.  South’s title hopes ended when they lost to Central, 56-52. 

After the season, the team competed in the District 17 tournament.  South won their first game, 52-44 against Washburn.  However, the Tigers season ended in the next game, this time against Central.  The close game played between the two teams seemed to be a distant memory for the Tigers.  Central seemed to be able to do what they wanted, winning 67-50.

After the season, Assistant Coach Walt Butterwick decided to leave basketball coaching at South after nine seasons.  He wished the remaining players and Head Coach Luther Mona good luck in the future.