MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1961-1962 School Year
1961-1962 Varsity Team Photo. Front Row: D. Larson, D. Renstrom, J. Lazor, D. Westby, H. Dodge, W. Larsen, G. Pederson. Second Row: L. McDavid, A. Shevcheeck, J. Olson, B. Patrick, D. Olson, T. Tallman, J. Swanson, D. Loeffler, J. Martineau. Third Row: Coach Butterwick, Coach Pihlstrom, W. Peterson, H. Berglund, H. Johnson, J. Reinke, J. Newsome, T. Crump, B. Argue, M. Juell, Coach Haugen. Back Row: C. Roannder, R. Bogan, B. Baird, F. Vagle, R. DanBeste, R. Howes, T. Fox, D. Lascan, R. Latvala, G. Leegard, P. Gante, G. Dorrian.

Going into the 1961-1962 season, South was one of the teams expected to be at the top of the standings when the season ended.  Coach Walt Butterwick and his staff, Jim Haugen, Bill McMoore and AL Pihlstrom, had the responsibility of trying to make the expectations come true.

The first test for the Tigers was at the City Preview against Edison.  Newsome plunged over from the two-yard line giving the Tigers a 6-0 win in the one-quarter “game.”

South opened the season against Marshall as the weeks featured game.  In the first half, South’s offense had numerous penalties which stopped any momentum.  However, Marshall did not fare any better, getting only one first down in the entire first half.  In the second half, South’s offense started to click.  An 18-yard pass from Westby to Larson put the Tigers on the board.  The next time the Tigers touched the ball, they marched 74 yards down the field before Newsome scored on a two-yard run.

Southwest was the next victim of the Tigers.  Led by touchdowns by Westby and Newsome, the Tigers wrapped up the game 27-0.

Against Vocational, even a soggy field could not stop the Tigers.  On the first play of the game, Renstrom went 90 yards to score.  Westby added a second long touchdown on a 51-yard run.  In the second half, Larson scored three touchdowns giving the Tigers their third shutout of the season, winning 30-0.

West was the opponent for South’s Homecoming.  Larson accounted for all three Tigers touchdowns.  The first was on a 19-yard sweep.  He scored the other two on passes from Reinke.

Playing in their second homecoming game, South travelled to Central to take on the Pioneers.  Central scored first taking a 7-0 lead.  South scored their first touchdown when Pederson recovered a fumble in the Pioneer end zone to tie the game.  Just before halftime, Crump scored to give the Tigers a 14-7 lead.  On the first play of the second half, Westby grabbed a fumble and ran it back for the Tigers third score.  Central added a late tally but it was not enough to stop the Tigers from spoiling the Pioneer homecoming festivities.  The final was 20-14.

South went into the game against Henry needing a win to keep pace with Washburn, who was also undefeated.  This game was a defensive struggle that Henry took to the bank.  The Tigers lost in an upset 7-0, dropping them into second place.

Against Roosevelt, the Tigers regrouped and earned their fourth shutout of the season.  Lazor and Westby each scored on 25-yard runs and the Tigers won 16-0.

This set up the last game of the year against Washburn.  Washburn was undefeated.  If South could win, the two teams would tie for the conference title.  The Millers showed why they were undefeated.  They completely dominated the game and won 25-0.

The Tigers finished 6-2 in third place.  Four Tigers were named to the All-Conference team.  Wally Larsen and Dave Westby were named to the first team.  Harry Dodge and Jim Reinke were listed on the second team.