MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1941-1942 School Year
1941-1942 Varsity Team Photo: Back Row: Nord, Kommerstad, Henderson, Gustafson, Dacko, Markgraf, Polunc, Gillick. Front Row: Landi, Larges, Hibben, Peterson, Wilson, Bailey.

The 1941-1942 basketball season started under a cloud.  On December 7, 1941, the United States entered World War II.  Debates were had whether athletics should continue during the war.  Even professional teams debated this.  President Franklin Roosevelt asked the various leagues to operate as best as they can to keep the moral of the home front positive.  So, the Minneapolis basketball season would go on.  However, a few players this season dropped out of school and enlisted in the military.  Future seasons would lose more young men than this one did,

South opened up against Roosevelt.  Roosevelt held the Tigers under 20 points, winning 30-18.  Edison was the next opponent.  Even though the Tigers scored over 20 points, they lost 39-24.

A close game against North gave the Tigers hope, but in the end, South lost their third games of the season, 34-31.  Central dropped the Tigers to 0-4 on the season with a 31-26 beating.

South won their first game of the season against Vocational.  South played their best game of the season so far in winning 43-28.  However, they lost to Washburn in a very close game.  A free throw determined the outcome, with Washburn winning 34-33.

The Tigers played well against Henry, winning their second game 32-25.  They then lost to Marshall, 39-28.  The last regular season game was against West.  Again, one point separated the teams.  Fortunately for the Orange and Black, the Tigers won 30-29.

South finished the regular season with a 3-6 record.  With the regular season over, a new concept to determine who participated in the State Tournament was introduced, Districts.  South and the other Minneapolis schools participated in District 17.

South played three games in the districts, losing all three.  The first loss was to Washburn, 44-29.  That was followed with a loss to Roosevelt, 28-21.  Edison then beat the Tigers 31-22, ending the Tigers season.

After the season, Head Coach Frank Cleve resigned as coach.  It was announced that he would be replaced by assistant coach Luther Mona.