MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1933-1934 School Year
1933-1934 Varsity Team Photo: Back Row: Robson, O’Brien, Makousky, Newton, Erickson Hauge, Hartman, Campion. Middle Row: Berry, Bernhardt, Russ, Blumst, Thompson, K. Anderson, Katz. Front Row: Skybert, E. Anderson, Coach Barnard, Hastings, Irgens, Lindstrom

Coach Les Barnard and his team hoped to improve on their second place finish from last season.  However, the experts did not expect the Tigers to place high in the conference race.

The team opened their conference season against the team the experts picked to win the title, Edison. In the first minute of play, South jumped out to a 6-0 lead, but the Tommies fought back.  With only 15 seconds to play Edison held a 29-28 lead.  Eddie Anderson looped in a long, arching shot to win the game 30-29. 

South then took on defending champion North.  South again took an early lead and never relinquished it, winning 25-19. 

After playing what most people thought were the two toughest teams, South then took on Marshall.  The Tigers did not play as well in this game, but played good enough to win.  Jimmie Hastings with 10 points led the Tigers to a 29-24 win.

The Tigers again played a lackluster game, this time against Central.  Eleven free throws gave the Tigers a 19-17 win.  Jimmie Hastings and Bernie Sable played in their last game due to graduating in January. 

South returned to its early dominant form against Washburn.  Forward Bus Irgens stole the spotlight scoring 20 points as the Tigers won 30-12. 

Against Roosevelt, the Tigers looked like they might lose their first game.  South was losing at halftime, but kept fighting.  Eventually, the Tigers won 24-13.

The conference title would be decided in the last game.  West, the final opponent, was also undefeated.  The Tigers jumped off to an early lead, but West kept rallying.  A spectacular shot and the end of the game gave the Tigers a 33-32 win and their seventh conference title.

South refused to participate in the Twin City came, so St. Paul Mechanic Art was given a forfeit win, 2-0.

In the region tournament, South first played Belgrade and won easily, 37-22.  The next region game was to decide who went to the State Tournament.  South took on St. Cloud Tech and in a close game won 29-23.

South opened play in the State Tournament against Redwood Falls.  South suffered their first defeat of the season (not counting the Twin City forfeit).  Redwood Falls won 24-16.  The Tigers would next play in the consolation bracket of the Tournament against Mankato.  A 38-28 point win would give South a chance at the consolation championship.  In the last game, Winona also fell, 30-21, to give the Tigers the Consolation Championship.

At the end of the season, Eddie Anderson was the unanimous choice of the newspapers for All-Conference first team.  Lindstrom was named to the second team.  Irgens, Skyberg and Hastings were named honorable mention.  Anderson, Lindstrom and Skyberg were awarde places on the All-Regional team.