MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1932-1933 School Year
Front Row: Mr. Barnard, Sinnes, Wexler, Christensen, Larson, Alm, Skyberg, Johnson, Wagnild, Mr. Ilstrup. Second Row: Seavey, Herkal, Copouls, Watson, Eide, Hastings, L. Velander, Held, Lindstrom. Third Row: Connolly, Harvey, Childers, Daggit, Bailey, Gonsrud, Norgren, Hultman, Zempple, Sather. Back Row: Kragness, Snyder, Gill Frank, Rohlin, Russ, Olson, Tallas, Rup, W. Velander, Saliterman.

For the last four seasons, only one other Minneapolis school defeated the Tigers, on their way to a record four straight titles.  Head Coach Lester Barnard and assistant Coach Ancil Ilstrip knew nothing but success since they came to South.  As the season progressed, there was hope for a fifth consecutive title.

The season began with a decisive win over West.  Walter Wagnild put the Tigers on the board in the first quarter when he blocked a west punt.  Clarence Johnson fell on the ball in the end zone for a touchdown. South added to its lead in the third quarter when Cliff Watson evaded the entire West team and ran 55 yards for a touchdown.  South finished the scoring on a pass from Jimmy Hastings to Wagnild in the fourth quarter.  The final score was 19-0.

South posted their second win of the season, 7-6 over Central.  South took the opening kickoff down the field.  Hastings plunged his way over the goal line for the Tiger’s only touchdown of the game.  The extra point held up for the win.  Central scored their only touchdown in the second half but missed the extra point.

Against Edison, the Tigers looked for a third win.  It looked like a sure win when Benny Held took a punt and broke loose for what was sure a touchdown.  Unfortunately, he slipped and fell on the Tommie 10-yard line stopping the run.  In the second half, South attempted many passes, but Edison either knocked them down or intercepted them.  The final was a 0-0 tie.

South then took on North in another tough game.  North scored first, when a bad snap force Hastings to fun with the ball.  He was tackled in the end zone for a safety.  North scored one touchdown later in the game which was all the scoring for the game.  South lost 8-0.

Against Marshall, the Cardinals scored first in the opening quarter making the score 7-0.  In the third quarter, South used its heavy line to score.  It began when the Tigers blocked a Marshall punt on the 16 yard line.   Held crashed through the line on the next play and scored.  The extra point tied the game.  The game ended with a 7-7 score.

The Tigers played Washburn in the next game.  Injuries and ineligibility hurt the Millers.  South piled up a 19-0 win. 

South ended the season with a 13-0 win over Roosevelt, spoiling the Teddies Homecoming.  South scored first on a Held touchdown, and Hastings scored a second touchdown.  The Teddies threatened but never scored.

The Tigers finished with a 4-1-2 record, good for third place.  Walter Wagnild and Stuart Larson were named to the All-City team by various newspapers.