MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1931-1932 School Year
1931-1932 Varsity Team Photo: Front Row: Head Coach Lester Barnard, Conlon, Sather, Holmes, Alm, Prokofieff, Assistant Coach Ancil Ilstrup. Middle Row: Hixon, Marren, Serigstad, Larson, Robertson, Luftman, Velander, Clark. Back Row: Wagnild, Seavey, Shapiro, Eide, Russ, Watson, Ring.

The Lester Barnard coached South Tiger football team has dominated the city over the past three seasons, winning 20 of 21 games.  The Tigers hoped to continue the dominance for a fourth consecutive season.  The addition of an assistant coach in the person of Ancil Ilstrup, who took control of the line. 

South opened the season against their southside rival, Roosevelt.  Roosevelt scored first when a bad snap in the end zone caused a Tiger fumble.  Even though South recovered the ball, the player who recovered the ball was stopped for a safety.  After taking a 2-0, Roosevelt never threatened again. South scored one touchdown in the second quarter and then pulled away with two more in the fourth quarter and won 20-2.

South took on West and shut them out in route to a 26-0 win.  South scored once in the first quarter, twice in the second quarter and once in the fourth quarter.

The defense prowess continued into their third game.  This was against Central and played at Nicollet Park.  Both teams struggled offensively against what may have been the two best defenses in the city.  At halftime, neither team mounted an offense with the score tied at zero.  This continued.  The 0-0 tied remained at the end of the third quarter as well.  Going into quarter four, fans were anxious for someone to score, but the defenses played tough and the game ended with neither team scoring. South had a streak of 11 quarters of shutting out their opponent.

Against Edison, the Tiger offense returned with a vengeance scoring 45 points!  South was held to only one touchdown in the first quarter, scored by Velander.  Two more scored, by Serigstad and Watson, were added in the second quarter.  South added two more touchdowns in each of the remaining quarters.  Again, the defense shut out the Tommies and South won 45-0 and extended their shutout streak at 15 quarters.

North proved to be a tougher task than Edison.  The field was wet due to the rain that fell during the game.  South scored in the first quarter.  That was the only points of the first half.  On the opening kickoff of the second half, Serigstad took the kick and ran through the entire North team for the second and final score of the game.  South won 12-0, extended their record to 4-0-1 and added to their shutout quarters now totaling 19 quarters.

The shutout streak ended against Marshall, who scored first in the game.  South came back with a score of their own in the first quarter and then took control of the game.  A second touchdown by south and a field goal gave the Tigers all the points they needed.  The defense took over and South won 16-7. South had a 5-0-1 record and awaited new of the game between Washburn and Central.  Going into the game, Central’s only blemish was the tie with South.  Washburn, whom the Tigers would play next, played a perfect defense against Central, shutting them out.  Washburn also scored the only points and won the game 7-0.  This upset, Washburn was 1-3-1 going into the game, would give South the opportunity for their fourth consecutive championship.

The Tigers were aware that if Washburn could upset Central, they could also upset South. South played hard and won 21-7, clinching their fourth consecutive championship. 

South finished the season with a 6-0-1 record, outscoring their opponents 140-16.  Opponents only scored in three of the 28 quarters played.  South became the first school to win four consecutive championships.

Five players were honored at the end of the season with all-city honors: guard Vernon Alm, running back Serigstad, reciever Conlon, quarterback Johnny Marren and tackle Holmes.