MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1923-1924 School Year
1923-1924 Varsity Team Photo: Players names were not listed in the 1924 yearbook.

Coach Evan O. Williams began the season knowing he had a good squad, with many returning players from last season.  However, that did not stop the Tigers from working hard to achieve their goal of improving on last season.

South opened the season against Central.  Fans expected an exciting game and defense reigned supreme.  At halftime, the score was 2-0, with the points coming on free throws. The score with 30 seconds to play was Central 7, South 5.  South was facing defeat, but Malvin Nydahl made a basket from midcourt to tie the game as time ran out.  This forced an overtime period.  Nydell scored for the Tigers giving them the lead, but rest of the overtime was all Central, who won 12-9.  Nydell was the star of the game for the Tigers scoring seven of the nine points.

South earned their first win of the season against Vocational.  Vocational could not solve South’s defense and was limited to two field goals and two free throws.  South won 22-6.  Nydahl was the high scorer with 10 points.

Roosevelt gave the Tigers a run.  Being only a second-year school, not much was expected from the Teddies.  However the game was close.  It was tied 3-3 after the first quarter and 7-7 at halftime.  South opened up a lead, but Roosevelt kept in the game.  South won, but the score was a close 18-15. Nydahl was the leading scorer again with seven points.

There is no record of the result of the first North-South game.  It is assumed that South won the game since they only had one loss during the first round of games.

South and Central opened the second half.  South was in a tie for the conference lead going into this game.  The only blemish, an earlier loss to Central.  This game started with Central scoring two quick baskets to take the lead.  South would come back to take the lead, but it was short-lived.  Central re-took the lead and never gave it back.  Central won again, this time 24-16.

Superior work on the part of South gave them their second victory over Roosevelt of the season.  The Teddies could not muster much.  They did not score a field goal in the first half, being down 17-5.  South continued to pour it on, winning 28-18.  Clarence Mitby was the high scorer with 10 points.

South easily defeated Vocational for the second time.  Behind Mitby’s 14 points, the Tigers won 32-13.

South then played the rivals from North.  The Polars did not put up much of a fight, with the Tigers doubling up on North 28-14.  Nydahl was the leading scorer with 18 points.

Since South and Central were tied with two losses each, a playoff game was needed to determine the conference championship.  This would be the third time the two teams would play, with Central having won both of the previous meetings.  South took a quick lead with baskets by Waldamar Hagen and Nydahl.  A long shot by Mitby ended the first half.  Central slowly climbed back into the game and tied the game at 16.  In the closing seconds, Central fouled Mitby, sending him to the free throw line.  Mitby made a shot and the Tigers won 17-16.

The members of the team were: Hagen, Mitby, Nyhadl, Gordon McLeod, Ray Jeppson, Chester Roan, Floyd Felt, Maurice McCarthy, Edmund Westman, Ingolf Serigstad and Leonard Swanbeck.

South advanced to the State Tournament and played its first game against Kasota.  South started fast and took an 8-0 lead before Kasota tallied a point.  The Tigers were in control leading 18-5 at halftime.  Kasota made a run at the Tigers, but South easily won 22-14.

In the second game, South took on Owatonna.  The “experts” picked Owatonna to win the game, but they were in for a shock.  South took a 7-5 lead in the first quarter and stretched it to 8-5 at halftime.  By the end of the game, South won 19-14.

Game three was against the team from northwest Minnesota, Moorhead.  Again South took an 8-0 lead, and stretched it to 17-5 at halftime.  The Tigers were never threatened in the second half and won 24-14, moving into the championship game.

South took on Two Harbors, from the North Shore area in the State Championship game.  Two Harbors took an 8-0 lead on the Tigers.  By halftime, South cut the Two Harbors’ lead in half, 12-8.  South would cut the lead to two points in the third quarter, But Two Harbors took control of the fourth quarter and won the title 21-12.