MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1923-1924 School Year
1923-1924 Varsity Team Photo: Players named were not listed in the 1924 South Yearbook.

The Tiger football team hoped to improve greatly from the winless season a year before.  There would be two more teams added to the Minneapolis City Conference.  Edison, who the Tigers played in a non-conference game last year, and Roosevelt, raising the number of teams to seven. Coach Evan O. Williams would not have a break to rest players with a full schedule.

The first game of the season was against newcomer Roosevelt.  This game was the beginning of what students would hope would be a great rivalry.  Geographically, Roosevelt was the closest school to South.  South started the game in the hole since two players, Zebaigh and Swanson, were out with injuries.  South scored early in the first period.  The Teddies never really threatened and this was all the points South needed to win.  The final score was 7-0.

In the second game, South took on West.  Like the prior game, this was a defensive battle.  South seemed to move the ball at will, but constantly came up short of scoring.  The scoreless tie was broken in the second quarter when West drop-kicked a field goal and took a 3-0 lead.  Beginning the third quarter, South took the ball and again marched down the field.  Zebaugh carried the ball to the one-yard line, but was stopped short of the goal.  Rombough was given the ball and scored.  This was the last scoring of the game and South won 7-3.

One week later, South took on Central at Nicollet Park.  Central threatened, moving the ball to the three-yard line, but the South defense kept Central from scoring.  At the end of the game, Central attempted a field goal, but Central did not get the kick off before the game ended in a 0-0 tie.

South took on the second newcomer to the conference, Edison.  The field was wet and became worse as the game went on, caused by continual rain.  Frequent fumbles and slips stopped any drive either team attempted. For the second consecutive game, South and their opponent played to a scoreless tie.

The next game may have been the most thrilling played by South.  North took the opening kick-off by did not score.  South then began moving the ball.  With the ball on the 35-yard line, Nydahl, the South quarterback, faded back to pass.  Seeing no one, he began scrambling weaving through tacklers until he scored.  North retaliated and tied the game.  On the ensuing kickoff, “Mallie” took the ball returned the ball 97 yards for another touchdown, clinching the game.  The finals was 15-12 in favor of South.

The final game of the season was against East.  Nearing the end of the game, East held a 7-3 lead.  South had the ball in the closing minutes.  With a few seconds remaining South began moving the ball, but four incomplete passes turned the ball over to East.  After East was penalized for delay of game, they punted.  A pass from Nydahl to Monson was stopped at the one-yard line.  Gordon McCloud was handed the ball and he plunged one yard for a touchdown and a 9-7 South win. South claimed the conference title with this win!

South placed five players on the All-Conference team.  Offensive lineme Harry Harris, Gordon McCleod and Joe Monson as well as quarterback Nydahl and running back Rombough represents South on the All-Conference squad.