MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1921-1922 School Year
1921-1922 Varsity Team Photo: Players names were not listed in the 1922 South Yearbook.

Evan O. Williams returned to the coaching reigns after a one-year absence.  The hopes of the team were to do better than the one-win season a year ago.

The first game of the season was a non-conference event against St. Paul Johnson.  Both teams were a little rusty, managing a total of 20 points.  South scored 13 of the 20, beating Johnson.

The Tigers opened the conference season against East.  The team won easily, 21-11.  Wheeler, the South captain, was the outstanding player of the game scoring 10 points. 

The second game of the season was against Central. This was an evenly matched game.  South took the early lead and hung on to a one-point win, 18-17.  Frank Tuttle and Wheeler were the stars for South.

The first game against West was just as close as the one against Central.  In fact, the score was exactly the same, 18-17!  Tuttle and Connie Dorfman were the stars for South, although Ambrose McCarthy was the crowd-pleaser, when he hit TWO shots from more than half the length of the floor!  South won its third game.

South wrapped up the first half of the season against North.  “Mull” Thompson and Captain Wheeler were the stars of the game.  Thompson scored eight points and Wheeler six.  South won 25-16.

South started the second half in first place and played East in their next game.  The teams seemed evenly matched but South opened a slight lead and hung on for a 21-15 win.  The highlight of the game was McCarthy’s dribbling.  To open the second half, he dribbled through the entire East defense and scored an easy basket.

Next on the schedule was Central.  Neither team scored in the first eight minutes of play.  Central took a 1-0 lead after a free throw and increased it to 3-0 by the end of the quarter.  South came back in the opening minutes of the second quarter to tie the game at three, but a free throw gave Central a 4-3 halftime lead.  Captain Wheeler made two free throws giving South a lead, but it was not to last.  Central pulled away and won 11-8.

Against West, the Tigers were determined to get back on the winning side of the score.  They held a 6-3 lead after the first quarter and opened it to a 9-4 lead at halftime.  In the second half, South opened up the lead.  It seemed as if everyone scored.  South won 29-10

In the final conference game of the season, South took on cross-town rivals North.  In order to win the conference title outright, South must win this game.  Central, who beat South earlier, also lost a game and sat with two losses.  South started the game playing excellent defense which was almost impenetrable.  The score was tied after one period at four.  At halftime, North clung to an 8-7 lead.  The third period belonged to the Tigers, who shut out the Polars and took a 16-8 lead.  The final score, 32-15, gave South the Conference Title.

The team also played University High in a non-conference game and won easily 35-17.

Since South was crowned conference champion, they had the change to take on Johnson for the Twin City title and to advance to the State Tournament.  Gordy Thompson started the scoring for South and Wheeler hit two free throws giving South the early lead.  South continued scoring, leading at halftime 11-4.  Johnson started their comeback in the third period.  In the last period Johnson tied the score at 15.  With one minute left in the game, a Johnson player made one free throw, giving Johnson the lead.  South had a change to take the lead back, but could not and lost 16-15.