MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1920-1921 School Year
1920-1921 Varsity Team Photo: Players' names were not listed in the 1921 South Yearbook.

South began with another new coach.  Mr. Thompson became the 16th head coach in 27 seasons. 

South opened against University High on October 5.  There was no score reported of this game.

In the city, South played Central on October 8.   South expected this to be similar to the game that decided the conference title last season.  The newspapers had Central as the hands down favorite.  Frank Cleve and the Tigers had other ideas however.  Cleve scored the only touchdown of the game and kicked the extra point giving South a 7-0 win.

After upsetting Central, South took on West in a disappointing show.  The players expected an easy win, but it was not to be.  In fact, neither team won!  There was no scoring by either team.  The game ended in a 0-0 tie!

East started the scoring against South on an interception which was returned for a touchdown. East added the kick to take a 7-0 lead.  Toward the end of the third quarter, South made a field goal cutting the lead to 7-3.  Near the end of the game, South started marching down the field.  With less than two minutes remaining, the ball was two inches from the East goal line.  The ball was handed to Cleve, but East stopped him, giving the win to East, 7-3.

South ended the season travelling to North for their last game on November 5.    The Tigers took out the frustrations on the Polars winning 31-0.  South took advantage of the many North errors.  The first goal occurred seven plays after the Tigers recovered a North fumble.  The second score game when Swanbeck intercepted a Polar pass and returned it 50 yards for a touchdown.  Cleve’s interception led to a third touchdown a few plays later.  Cleve’s second interception and Siverson’s interception also led to scores. 

South ended the conference season with a 2-1-1 record, good for second place.  Frank Cleve, Mark Matthews and Herbert Swanbeck were named first team All-Conference by the Minneapolis Tribune.  Raymond Sieverson was named to the second team.