MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1918-1919 School Year
1918-1919 Varsity Team Photo: Players names were not listed in the 1919 South Yearbook.

As World War I was coming to an end, (it ended three days after South’s last game of the season) schools were still missing some of the young men who left to help the war effort.  Thus, many of the young men out for this season’s team were inexperienced.  Lawrence Rickert was hired to replace O.C. Bird as the coach.

South played two games before taking on the first City opponent.  For the last time in school’s history, the Alumni would play an official game against South.  This game was close with only one score.  South won 6-0. South played the Alumni 14 times.  The all-time record is 6-5-1 (two scores were not reported.)

South won their second game when they took on St. Paul Mechanic Arts.  Again, the South defense played hard and shut out the St. Paulites.  South’s pushed over two touchdowns and won 13-0.

West was outclassed by the Tigers.  Cleve ran for three touchdowns, one which was 65 yard.  Plummer added two scores.  The final was South 32, West 6.

Against Central, both teams knew they were in for a hard game.  Neither team had an edge by half time.  The game continued to be a back and forth game.  By the end of the game, neither team scored and the final was a 0-0 tie.

Because of a flu epidemic, the game against North was played without any fans.  South continued playing shutout football, playing two more quarter without allowing the opponents to score.  The shutout streak continued into the third quarter.  However, in the fourth quarter, North scored two touchdowns, handing South a 13-0 loss.

The last game of the season, against East, was played on November 8.  The game was scoreless until the third quarter when an East player ran 60 yards for a touchdown.  That was all East needed to win the game, but the official ruled the runner stepped out of bounds.  With new life, South defense held and East did not score.  Near the end of the game, South’s Nodell intercepted a pass and returned it.  Everyone though he would score, but he was run down after a 35 yard run.  The game ended in a tie.

South finished the season with a 3-1-2 overall record, 1-1-2 in conference, good for third place.   South only allowed scores in two quarters of the season.  South defense shut out their opponents 22 of 24 quarters. Post season honors were given by both Minneapolis newspapers.  The Tribune named Hurley and Matthews to the first team All-Conference and Cleve and Tattleman to the second team.  The Journal named Swanson first team and Nodell and Plummer to the second team.