MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact
1907-1908 School Year
1907-1908 Varsity Team Photo: Front Row: Groettum, Nordstrom. Second Row: Williams, Haverstock, Coach Burrier, Flagstad, Zahner. Third Row: Sandys, Wethall, Savage, Solem, Lundeen, Carpenter. Back Row: Johnson, Peterson, Downham, Jorgenson

The 1907-1908 football season opened under a dark cloud.  There were three players who returned from last season, but Arthur Straite was lost to the team because of a non-football injury suffered at school.  That left only two returning lettermen.  The second problem was that practice did not start until the third week of September.  The reason, there was no coach!  The school hoped to bring back last season’s coach, Jimmy Ellis, but he was out of town and could not coach.  Finally, the South found a coach in Mr. Carlton Burrier.  Mr. Burrier is from the East coast and is currently teaching on one of the other Minneapolis schools.

The first game of the season was against the St. Thomas College Second Team on October 4.  Almost every South player saw action in the game according to the 2008 South Yearbook.  Both teams battled but no one scored and the game ended in a 0-0 tie.

One week later, South took on East.  Both teams seemed to be equal on paper, but South took control of the game from the opening kickoff.  In the first half, South managed only one touchdown and kicked one goal.  The second half saw more of the same, as South scored seeming when they wanted, South won 22-6. 

The following week South took on Central High School from St. Paul.  The Yearbook reported that South was defeated by the referee making several bad decisions.  A free-for-all fight was narrowly averted after the game.  The referee quickly exited the field after the game ended.  St. Paul Central won 10-5.

The following week, South took on North.  This game seemed to be over before it started.  North played as if they were professionals, not high school students, even though they were in high school.  North controlled the entire game both offensively and defensively.  On offense North scored at will, racking up 57 points.  Defensively, South was kept off of the scoreboard.  The final, 57-0.

South had two weeks to rest up before taking on Central, the Minneapolis school.  From the opening kickoff, both teams were evenly matched. The first half ended with no score.  This continued until South kicked a field goal and won by a final of 4-0.

The next game was against Pillsbury Academy. 

South ended the season travelling to St. Cloud.  The game was close, but the team from “up north” took home the win, 6-0.  However, the most interesting part of the game was a major brawl between South players, police and several hundred fans. The incident began when a South player was penalized for slugging.  Coach Burrier came on the field and he was followed by a police officer.  The police officer threatened to arrest the entire team if they did not get down to football.  Burrier objected to the presence of the officer and an argument began.  As the police officer was arresting the coach, the South players came to his defense and jumped the officer.  This caused several hundred fans to come down from the stands and join in.  After 15 minutes, the brawl ended, however rumors started that the coach would be arrested as soon as the game ended.  Coach Burrier pulled his players from the field and said if this was true, the team would not continue the game.  The policeman, Officer Miller, said he would not arrest the coach if he would apologize.  Coach Burrier did so and the game continued. 

The season ended with South racking up a 2-4-1 overall record.  They were 2-1 in City games.  Four players were named to the All-City team by the Minneapolis Tribune.  Flagstad, Haverstock, and Tobin were named to the first team.  Zahner was named to the second team.