CCC Happenings August 31, 2015–September 4, 2015
Monday, August 31 (Rates and Abdullah in the CCC)
Tuesday, September 1 (Rates in the CCC)
Wednesday, September 2 (Rates and Abdullah in the CCC)
Kehr’s Class in CCC period 4
MCTC-South class registration for Future Forward students in CCC period 6
Thursday, September 3 (Rates in the CCC)
Friday, September 4 (Abdullah in the CCC)
Center closed for Counseling Dept Meeting from 10-11:30
-A lot of rep visits, check the schedule on Naviance or outside the CCC (also will be listed in this email as they get closer)
-Registration deadline for October ACT is Friday, September 18
-Senior Planning Night is September 22nd from 6-7:30pm in the auditorium
Seniors: To Do List:
-Researching colleges and narrowing your list down to around 5 schools
-Meet with college admission reps when they come to South
-Attend the National College Fair at the Minneapolis Convention Center on October 21st from 4:30pm- 8pm
-Register for October ACT if you haven’t taken it or want to retest
-Send ACT scores if you didn’t put that school when you registered
-Start applying to colleges (on school’s website or using the Common App)
-Send your transcripts
-If your school requires a LOR from your counselor: Complete counselor recommendation survey on Naviance and make appt with your counselor for LOR interview
-Ask teachers for letters of recommendation if required
-Start your college essay if required
Need help or just more information…
-Come to the College and Career Center, room 246
-Make an appointment with your counselor, room 247A or 247B
College Campus Travel/Visit Opportunities
Oct. 11th-12th, 2015
Diversity Preview Program! For students
of color and first-generation students.
Applications due Sept. 16th!
South Dakota State University
The Senior Day
Saturday, September 12
800.952.3541 or www.sdstate.edu/seniorday for more information or to register
Explore – annual diversity weekend program
Explore is designed to introduce students to the College and to the community’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Montana State University in Bozeman
MSU Friday Visits
October 6, 2015
January 29, 2016
March 11, 2016
April 8, 2016
Online registration at www.montana.edu/admissions/msufriday/
Wisconsin Private School
Campus Visit Opportunities
Sept 2015- Aug 2016
For more information about all visits or to schedule your own private tour go to www.wisconsinsprivatecolleges.org/visit
Upcoming Events at Local Colleges/Local Visits
Dates and Location
University of Minnesota
10th Annual The Misel Family Lecture a Free Public Lecture:
Spacetime versus The Quantum
September 10, 2015 at 7pm
Memorial Hall, McNamara Alumni Center
No registration needed
Refreshments to follow
University of Notre Dame
Thursday, September 10 at 7pm
550 Albert St. S,
Saint Paul, MN
Open to students and parents
· Gap Year informational website: http://www.americangap.org
· Book: Our Plan: A Family-Centered Approach to Paying For College
· CollegeXpress a resource for students and parents regarding college and scholarship search.
· The MN Department of Education – in partnership with TPT – has produced videos featuring students from all over the state in their first year of college, and talking about the decision-making that went into the process of going to college. They’ve also got some films featuring parents. Here’s a link to the videos on the web: http://readysetgo.state.mn.us/RSG/ShapingFuture/index.html
· Affordable Online Colleges Guide http://www.thesimpledollar.com/affordable-online-colleges/
· Code U is a free online workshop for high school students exploring college and health careers. http://www.healthcareers.umn.edu/online-workshops/code-u/index.htm
· Fast Web Matches you to scholarships. Get started at http://www.fastweb.com
· Schutor.com is a new and powerful college search tool that makes the college search process easier for students and parents.
· Next Step Academy offers solutions for students of all ages, whether they are seeking a college program, trying to figure out what career path is right for them or are looking to gain valuable life skills. http://www.nextstepacademy.com/
· “You Wanna Do” a new free service matching people to careers, colleges and companies for a better life. Go to www.uwannabe.com/forhighschools for more information.
· Huntington Learning Center now offers one-to-one subject tutoring in Math and Science. Call 1-800-CAN LEARN today.
· Free Financial Coaching through Prepare and Prosper! Money Mentors is a financial coaching program offered to community members FOR FREE! Participants work 1:1 with a volunteer coach to achieve financial goals by creating an action plan to create true change. Apply to participate at http://www.prepareandprosper.org/en/about.
· Khan Academy is now providing free SAT practice
· Coastal Studies for Girls - Now seeking applicants for next year! Contact Evelyn Smith, Enrollment Coordinator and Director of Alumnae Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or:PO Box 266, 308 Wolfe's Neck Road, Freeport, Maine 04032, Office: 207-865-9700, Mobile: 207-319-4355
Career and Community Opportunities
· Youth Futures Program RESOURCE Employment Action Center empowers people to achieve greater personal, social and economic success. resource-mn.org. For information about the program contact Becca Lopez at (direct) 612-752-8826 or come see her in the CCC on Tuesdays from 2-4pm.
· The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) will hold its annual performing and visual arts college fair (PVA) at a new location, the Minneapolis Convention Center, on Tuesday, October 13, 2015, from 7:00pm – 9:00pm. PVAs are free and open to the public, and allow students to interact with admission representatives from a wide range of performing and visual arts postsecondary institutions. Go to http://www.nacacnet.org/college-fairs/PVA-College-Fairs/pva/Pages/default.aspx or www.gotomypvafair.com for FREE student registration.
· Youth Outdoors at Conservation Corps Minnesota is currently hiring Minneapolis youth between the ages of 15 and 18 for after-school jobs! Youth crews meet up to three times a week and, with their adult leaders, work on natural resource projects for the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board. You are paid for education days which incorporate environmental education, civic engagement, resume building, etc. Youth meet at Rec Centers throughout Minneapolis. Locations for the spring are to be determined (we try to pick ones that are the most convenient for our applicants). Last fall crews met at Powderhorn Park and North Commons. For more information http://www.conservationcorps.org/youth-opportunities
· Arc Value Village in Richfield is looking for student volunteers and has some job openings. Contact Clairette LaPointe at 612.861.9550 or go to the store to get more information/to apply.
· Grammy Camp-Weekend is a free opportunity for high school students grades 9-12 to learn from industry professionals about electronic music production, songwriting and vocal performance. On Saturday, September 19th from 9am-5pm at the Minneapolis Central Library. Register at http://svy.mk/1JcCpT6
· Regions Hospital: School of Ophthalmic Medical Technology is offering an open house and career discivery on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 from 3:30-5pm. For more information call 651.254.3000 or go to www.regionshospital.com/rh/mecial-staff-services/sch-ophthalmic-med-tech.html Register by emailing email@example.com
· Congressional Student Advisory Council Application is available. For juniors and seniors who are interested in government and making change. Applications are in the CCC (Deadline: 8/18/15).
· MSP Airport Customs and Border Protection is starting an Explorers Post. More information to come. If interested come to the CCC.
· MLK Day Essay Contest 1st Place $300, 2nd Place $200, 3rd Place $100, open to students in grades 9, 10, and 11 who attend Minneapolis Public Schools. Go to http://www.minneapolismn.gov/civilrights/commission/civil-rights_commission_announcements for more information. (Deadline 11/16/15)
· Danforth Scholars Program is a nominate only scholarship for the Washington University in St. Louis. If you are interested in this school see your counselor to learn more and see if they will nominate you (Deadline: 11/15/15)
· Urban Ventures announces Act Six which provides full tuition, full need scholarships to Augsburg, Bethel and the Northwestern (St. Paul) for up to 30 students each year. They will begin accepting applications from Twin Cities area high school seniors during the fall of their senior year. For more information, visit www.actsix.org.
· National Young Arts Foundation Scholarships up to $10,000, open to ages 15-18 or grades 10-12 who are actors, dancers, filmmakers, musicians, photographers, singers, visual artists, designers, or writers. Vocal singer/songwriters are accepted, too. Info and applications at www.youngarts.org (Deadline 10/16/15)
· Skidmore College in New York offers annual scholarships to its students. If you are interested in this school visit their website at www.skidmore.edu and www.skidmore.edu/financialaid/merti.php for more information.
· Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship Program will begin accepting nominations on September 9, 2015. For more information come to the CCC.
· AES Scholarship for more information and to apply go to www.aesengineers.com/scholarships.htm. (Deadline:10/7/15)
ACT Prep Options
· Community Education: Prep Classes contact our community education office for more information.
· Naviance’s PrepMe: Free online option to practice for the ACT. Come to the CCC if you have questions.
· Peterson's Test Prep Guidance Net: Online courses are available for PSAT, ACT or SAT. Contact: www.petersonsTestPrep.com or 877 837-8773
· Hennepin County Library: Access FREE ACT/SAT/PSAT/AP practice tests:go to www.hclib.org
· Books: There are book options by Princeton Review, Barron’s, McGraw Hill and others that you can purchase online, check Amazon for the best price.
· Other places to contact/websites: The following offer test prep options that require payment: Sylvan, Huntington, Princeton Review, Kaplan, Aspire, and ACT Ready. See more details below.
· ACT Ready: offers personal, high quality ACT preparation at a reasonable price to students of all academic abilities and tailored to their needs. We compare our students' scores on ACT Ready practice test to their actual ACT exam results. Our 2009 students achieved an average gain of four points, an increase of approximately 20% in their national percentile rankings; 45% of our small group and private lesson students earned a final ACT Score of 29 or higher, placing them in the top 6% nationally. Contact: Mary Ann Dorsher and Mary Langfeldt www.actready.net or 612-927-9516
· Aspire Personalized: Offers in-person tutoring for college entrance exams and mathematics. Thore has helped diverse students reach their potential, including a number of 9 point score increases on the ACT and 500 points on the SAT. Aspire Instruction strives to strengthen core academic competencies, study skills, and test taking strategies, so the tutoring benefits students long past the test date. Contact: Thore Dosdall: www.aspireinstruction.com, 320-287-0933
· Huntington Learning Center: Provides one-on-one tutoring with flexible scheduling for both ACT and SAT. Cost: Varies by individual and number of students. Contact: www.huntingtonlearning.com or call 952 922-2488
· Kaplan Test Prep: Offers Prep Courses for PSAT, ACT, or SAT. Options include classroom courses, online courses and private tutoring, and a new option called “ACT Express”. ACT Express is a condensed, 12-hour course. Call 1-800-KAP-TEST for information on any of Kaplan’s test prep options. Click on the link “Find a Free Event” for information about free practice tests in the Twin Cities area. Contact: www.kaptest.com/college
· Princeton Review: PSAT, ACT< and SAT prep courses are available. Options include classroom courses, online courses or private tutoring. Free practice tests and strategy sessions are available for students at various locations throughout the Twin Cities. Contact: www.PrincetonReview.com or 1-800-2-Review
· Sylvan Learning Systems, Inc: ACT and SAT classroom and small group courses are available. Students are encouraged to attend all classes, but can make-up a missed class online. Cost: ACT $888, SAT $988 . Contact: www.educate.com or 952-831-5351
· PrepFactory is a completely FREE ACT prep site (recently showcased on FreeTech4Teachers & being used by more than several hundred other schools), and which features:
o 99th percentile instructors
o thousands of practice questions (which kids seem to love)
o gamification elements to keep kids engaged (also very popular!
o Here's a special invite link if you'd like to check it out: www.prepfactory.com/invite
3131 19th Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55407