CCC Happenings May 20th-25th
2:00-3:00pm MCTC Power of You FAFSA Session
2:00-4:00pm Becca Lopez, Employment Action Center
3:15pm Counseling Advisory Council Meeting
Noon-1pm Pohlad Scholars Luncheon
· Minneapolis Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the Electrical Industry (current Seniors) NJATC is accepting applications for apprenticeships in the Electrical Construction program on a year round basis for a five year apprenticeship program. Must be a high school graduate or have a GED. For more information go to: http://mplsjatc.org/applicationinfo.asp
· Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Research Department/OMWI High School Intern The Research Department at the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis has an internship opportunity available for a high school student with a strong interest in economics. Applications are invited from students who have completed or will complete economics coursework. 6-10 hours/week, September 2013- May 2014, $11/hour. For more information about qualifications and the application process please stop by the Career & College Center. Deadline: Sunday, June 30, 2013
· Shawn Carter (Jay-Z) Scholarship For high school seniors, college students, or adults ages 18-25 pursuing studies at a vocational or trade school. Must be a US Citizen. Information and online application available at: http://www.shawncartersf.com/apply/ (Deadline 5/31/13).
· Minneapolis Urban League Gateway Scholarship one-time up to $2,500 award. African American High School seniors in Minneapolis area, requires counselor nomination and 500-word essay. See your counselor for details. (Applications due 6/7/13).
· 2013 H.O.P.E. Academic & Leadership Academy Winona State University’s Office of Inclusion & Diversity and Minnesota State College-Southeast Technical invite you to apply for our 2013 H.O.P.E. Academic & Leadership Academy. The 2013 co-ed Male and Female H.O.P.E. Academy is scheduled for Saturday, June 22, 2013 through Saturday, June 29, 2013. This one-week co-educational residential program is free and includes housing, meals, supplies; and is open to all males and females in 9th through 12th grades, including those who will graduate this year. The official application for the 2013 H.O.P.E. Academic & Leadership Academy is available online at: http://www.winona.edu/inclusion-diversity/hopeacademy.asp Applications must be received by June 5, 2013 If you have any additional questions, please contact: Joyce Walker at JWalker@winona.edu or Xao Vang at XVang@winona.edu
· The Accounting Career Awareness Program is sponsored by the National Association of Black Accountants Minneapolis / St. Paul Chapter. This program is for incoming freshmen through recent graduate interested in business related disciplines to apply for this FREE program. Completed applications must be POSTMARKED BY May 10, 2013 for early consideration and June 1, 2013 for final consideration. ACAP will be held at the University of Minnesota JULY 15 - 20, 2013. The primary objective is to increase the number of high school students from under-represented groups who attend college and major in accounting, finance, or other business related fields. ALL PROGRAM EXPENSES (E.G. ROOM, BOARD, MATERIALS, TOURS, ETC.) ARE PAID. Most importantly, students who are selected and attend the program will have the opportunity to compete for several scholarships. If you have questions about the program, please contact Tricia Flowers at 651-491-2899, or via email at email@example.com. For information, qualifications and the application please go to www.nabamn.org
· 2013 Summer Legal Institute MN Free program for students entering grades 9-12 next fall: work with judges, lawyers, and law students on legal reasoning, case analysis, writing, negotiation, and oral argument exercises. Also includes college preparatory advice for students interested in pursuing legal careers. Hosted by University of Minnesota, Law School. June 10-14, 2013 Information available at: http://www.jtfb.org/index.php?src=. Applications available in the CCC. Open until program filled (apply ASAP if interested)
· Ojibwe Niibinishi Gabeshi (Summer Camp) at Bemidji State University 5 day program open to sophomores, juniors and seniors with a desire to learn more about the first people of Minnesota. Includes intensive Ojibwe language program, with history, cultural traditions, music, and native arts. Students with no proficiency in Ojibwe and/or who are interested in attending Bemidji State University to study Ojibwe-related fields are especially encouraged to attend. Full scholarship offered to American Indian heritage students with financial need. Application available in the CCC.
· Studio and Music Business Summer Camp and Workshops offered by the Institute of Production and Recording for students grades 10-12. Work hands-on with industry standard gear and software in professional studios and production labs. Offered from 9am- 12pm June 17-21. Summer Camp application fee is $50 and tuition is $300. Workshop costs vary. Application and information available in the CCC.
· High School Super Star Program at UMD Medical School A 6 week summer program at the University of Minnesota-Duluth for American Indian students going into grades 11 or 12 or for 2013 graduates who are interested in careers in health and science. Students will use medical case studies to experience how doctors assess patient symptoms and determine a diagnosis with other students with similar interests and current medical students. Students will be able to improve academic skills and study habits and will receive a stipend for successful completion of the program. Program will run from June 17- July 26. Information and applications available at www.caimh.umn.edu.
· Stepping Stones to Health Careers at UMD Medical School for American Indian students going into 9-12 grades who are interested in health or science careers. One week and two week programs offered where students will stay on University of Minnesota-Duluth campus, explore health-related sciences, healthy living, research skills, and college preparation. Evenings will be spend enjoying Duluth attractions. Information and applications available at www.caimh.umn.edu.
· Personal Finance Summer Institute for College Readiness offered by the MN Council on Economic Education for students currently in grades 9-11 that meet eligibility criteria listed on the website. Week-long program includes instruction in personal finance concepts using hands-on activities in a college classroom, campus visits at 3 institutions, and guest speakers from local corporations. Program takes place at University of Minnesota St. Paul Campus from 8:30-4:30 on June 24-28. Additional information and eligibility details are available at www.mcee.umn.edu.
· 2013 Ecology Credit Camp at Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center for students entering grades 10-12, a 3-week academic program for students interested in outdoor science activities. Information, applications, and tuition/scholarship information available at www.wolf-ridge.org.
Program Location & Dates
Barnard Summer in New York City
New York City, New York
Throughout the summer
For juniors and seniors, courses available in an array of subjects .Application and information at www.barnard.edu/summer
Northwestern University Evanston, IL
· June 29- August 10, 2013
· July 13- August 10, 2013
(applications accepted all month as space allows, early applications accepted)
For current sophomores and juniors interested in Debate, staff includes many nationally recognized speakers and coaches. Info and application at:
Phillips Academy Summer Session
July 1- August 4, 2013
For all grades
The Putney School Summer Programs
The Putney School
· June 23-July 12, 2013
· July 14-August 2, 2013
· June 23- August 2, 2013
For all grades interested in a wide array of subjects from visual arts to farm work to creative writing. For more information visit summer.putneyschool.org
St. Olaf College Summer Swim Camps
St. Olaf College
· June 9-13, 2013
· June 16-20, 2013
· June 23-27, 2013
For students up to age 17 who are interested in swimming. For more information visit www.stolaf.edu/camps
School Year Abroad Summer Session
· China June 21-July 26, 2013
· France June 18-July 23, 2013
· Spain June 21-July 26, 2013
· Italy June 21-July 26, 2013
For sophomores, juniors and seniors looking to spend the summer abroad. For more information or to apply online visit www.syasummer.org
Michigan Tech Summer Youth Programs
Throughout the summer
Michigan Technological University
For high school students grades 9-11 with an interest in learning about a variety of subjects over the summer. For more information or to apply visit www.youthprograms.mtu.edu
Upcoming Events at Local Colleges/Local Visits
Dates and Location
University of Chicago
Monday, June 3, 2013
7:30 - 9:30 pm
DoubleTree Minneapolis Park Place
1500 Park Place Blvd
Minneapolis, MN 55406
For prospective students and families. Sessions include a brief overview of each institution, information on admissions and financial aid, and a chance to speak informally with admissions representatives. You must register to attend. Registration and information at:
Multiple Private Colleges in MN
Minnesota Private College Week
Monday, June 24-
Friday, June 28, 2013
(9:30-11:45 am and 2:00- 4:15 pm each day at each school)
On all 17 campuses statewide
For all students and parents, take part in short sessions at whichever schools appeal to you.
Event details and registration: http://www.mnprivatecolleges.org/mpcw
Multiple Private Colleges in WI
Wisconsin Private College Week
Monday, July 9-
Friday, July 14, 2013
On all 21 campuses
An open house invitation to tour campus, talk with an admissions rep, meet with professors, and more.
Event details at:
43 Colleges from across the country
Colleges That Change Lives Tour (CTCL)
Saturday, August 24, 2013
Minneapolis Convention Center
Lower Level L100 Rooms
1301 Second Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Begins with presentation, "How To Choose a College That's Right For You" to encourage students to make the college search process a
well-informed journey that leads to:
finding the right college fit for them. A college fair format follows.
CTCL events are free and pre-registration is not required. More information at: www.ctcl.org
Important Information about Naviance PrepMe Test Preparation
Students and Parents/Guardians:
We are excited to announce free college entrance test preparation (e.g., PSAT & ACT) available to students through their individual Naviance accounts.
PrepMe is an online, adaptive test preparation program that allows students to practice and prepare for the PSAT & ACT tests on their own timeline. Diagnostic tests, practice tests, lessons and quizzes are available to assist students in their review and preparation.
PrepMe can be accessed from the STUDENT Naviance account; a link is found on the home page of the student’s Naviance account under "resources." Upon clicking on the link, students are asked to acknowledge that they are leaving the Naviance page.
It is important to note that students’ participation in the PrepMe program is listed for other participants to see. A student’s first and last name will appear in "recent history" on the PrepMe page along with his or her activity. As an example, it will say "Sally Student took the Diagnostic Test-Math Section." Students’ scores or outcomes are NOT shared, only their name and activity.
This letter serves as notification that students’ names are shared with other PrepMe participants in the "recent history" section. By using this test preparation product, students and parents/guardians are acknowledging that they understand that students’ first and last names are listed in this section. Students and/or parents/guardians who are not comfortable with the listing of the students’ first and last names should not take advantage of this free test preparation program.
If you have questions, please see your student’s school counselor.
Shelly Landry Lead Counselor Minneapolis Public Schools
Naviance Website: connection.naviance.com/shsmn
Naviance Website: connection.naviance.com/shsmn
If you don't have your parent Naviance code you can e-mail Anne Erickson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kate Van Pernis (email@example.com)
Anne Erickson & Kate Van Pernis: Career & College Center Coordinators
Career & College Center, South High School
612.668.4363 : p
612.668.4375 : f
South High School
3131 19th Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55407
3131 19th Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55407