CCC Happenings November 23, 2015–December 4, 2015
Monday, November 23 (Rates and Abdullah in the CCC)
AVID seniors in CCC period 3
Tuesday, November 24
Rates and Abdullah out at AchieveMpls Meetings
Wednesday, November 25 - Friday, November 26: No School-Thanksgiving Break
Monday, November 30 (Rates and Abdullah in the CCC)
Tuesday, December 1 (Rates in the CCC)
Financial Aid Night on Tuesday, December 1st from 6:30-8pm in the Auditorium
Frequent college application deadline
Wallin Scholarship Opens
Wednesday, December 2 (Abdullah in the CCC)
Minnesota Air National Guard rep visit at 10am
Walk-In Help Sessions, Topic: College Applications from 2-3:30pm in the CCC
Thursday, December 3 (Rates in the CCC)
Friday, December 4 (Rates and Abdullah in the CCC)
CCC Closed for Coun Dept Meeting from 9-10:30
Wallin Scholarship Application Opens: December 1
Step Up Online Application Opens: December 7
Frequent College Application Deadline: December 15
Seniors: To Do List:
-Researching colleges and narrowing your list down to around 5 schools
-Meet with college admission reps when they come to South
-Attend the National College Fair at the Minneapolis Convention Center on October 21st from 4:30pm- 8pm
-Register for October ACT if you haven’t taken it or want to retest
-Send ACT scores if you didn’t put that school when you registered
-Start applying to colleges (on school’s website or using the Common App)
-Send your transcripts
-If your school requires a LOR from your counselor: Complete counselor recommendation survey on Naviance and make appt with your counselor for LOR interview
-Ask teachers for letters of recommendation if required
-Start your college essay if required. NOTE: go to The Writing Center in the media center to get help on your college essay
Need help or just more information…
-Come to the College and Career Center, room 246
-Make an appointment with your counselor, room 247A or 247B
College Campus Travel/Visit Opportunities
Montana State University in Bozeman
MSU Friday Visits
January 29, 2016
March 11, 2016
April 8, 2016
Online registration at www.montana.edu/admissions/msufriday/
Wisconsin Private School
Campus Visit Opportunities
Sept 2015- Aug 2016
For more information about all visits or to schedule your own private tour go to www.wisconsinsprivatecolleges.org/visit
You can get up to $500 of your travel expenses paid. For more information and to register go to hope.edu/counselor-visit or call 616.395.7850
Scholarship audition and interview event
February 18-19, 2016
Register at simpson.edu/admissions or call 515.961.1624
Winona State University
Jan 23, 30
North Dakota State College of Science
Wahpeton Special Event Tour Days
Fargo Special Event Tour Days
NDSCS-Fargo Programs-mar 8
Campus Close Up Dates
Register to attend at www.uwlax.edu/visit
Seton Hall University
Open House Events
College Visit Days
Apr 15, 29
Milwaukee School of Engineering
Junior Visit Days
Jan 22, Feb 26, Mar 11
Senior Visit Days
Minnesota State University, Mankato
To register or for more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Feb 12, Apr 15, 29
Dec 4, Feb 5, 21
or call 605.274.5516
Illinois Wesleyan University
Feb 6, Feb 20, Mar 5
Laura Dolan, Music Admissions Coordniator at 309.556.3063 or email email@example.com
Action and Visit Days
Admitted student-Mar 4
Sophomore & Junior Visit-Apr 1
Fashion Week Adventure
February 12-16, 2016
Upcoming Events at Local Colleges/Local Visits
Dates and Location
· Gap Year informational website: http://www.americangap.org
· Leap is a gap year program, for more information go to www.theleap.co.uk
· Book: Our Plan: A Family-Centered Approach to Paying For College
· CollegeXpress a resource for students and parents regarding college and scholarship search.
· The MN Department of Education – in partnership with TPT – has produced videos featuring students from all over the state in their first year of college, and talking about the decision-making that went into the process of going to college. They’ve also got some films featuring parents. Here’s a link to the videos on the web: http://readysetgo.state.mn.us/RSG/ShapingFuture/index.html
· Affordable Online Colleges Guide http://www.thesimpledollar.com/affordable-online-colleges/
· Code U is a free online workshop for high school students exploring college and health careers. http://www.healthcareers.umn.edu/online-workshops/code-u/index.htm
· Fast Web Matches you to scholarships. Get started at http://www.fastweb.com
· Schutor.com is a new and powerful college search tool that makes the college search process easier for students and parents.
· Next Step Academy offers solutions for students of all ages, whether they are seeking a college program, trying to figure out what career path is right for them or are looking to gain valuable life skills. http://www.nextstepacademy.com/
· “You Wanna Do” a new free service matching people to careers, colleges and companies for a better life. Go to www.uwannabe.com/forhighschools for more information.
· Huntington Learning Center now offers one-to-one subject tutoring in Math and Science. Call 1-800-CAN LEARN today.
· Free Financial Coaching through Prepare and Prosper! Money Mentors is a financial coaching program offered to community members FOR FREE! Participants work 1:1 with a volunteer coach to achieve financial goals by creating an action plan to create true change. Apply to participate at http://www.prepareandprosper.org/en/about.
· Khan Academy is now providing free SAT practice
· ATTN: 9th grade females: Coastal Studies for Girls - Is an extraordinary 10th grade semester for girls in Freeport, Maine. Now seeking applicants for next year! For more information about this program and to apply go to www.coastalstudiesforgirls.org
· University of Alabama-Early College is accepting for highly motivated sophomore, junior and senior students who are prepared for college study. For more information go to uaearlycollege.ua.edu. then talk to your counselor.
· The government is trying to make the college aid application easier and come out earlier, check out the website http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/09/14/440283994/obama-makes-college-aid-application-earlier-and-easier
Career and Community Opportunities
· 2016 High School Page Program-Minnesota House of Representatives is an opportunity for juniors who are interested in politics. You get to spend one week in the Capitol. Stipends are available. More information and application at www.house.leg.state.mn.us/edprog/app.pdf (Deadline: 12/4/15)
· U.S. Military Academy for the Fifth Congressional District House of Representatives. For more information or questions contact Mike Siebenaler at firstname.lastname@example.org, application in the CCC (Deadline:11/2015).
· HOBY sophomore state leadership seminar and advanced leadership academy for juniors and seniors. For more information go to www.hoby.org. Register at email@example.com For more information come to the CCC.
· Minnesota National Guard Montgomery GI Bill, Federal Tuition Assistance, State Tuition Reimbursement. For more information call David Crowe at 612.418.4794
· Minneapolis Electrical JATC application winter schedule: complete app before 12/18/15. aptitude test 1/29 and Interview late Feb
· Raise.me is a website where you can earn scholarship money for simply doing what you're suppose to be doing in high school! Example: did you get an A in English for 9th grade? Enter that info in, and you get a $200 scholarship! You can start now as a freshmen or as a senior!
o These scholarships only apply to colleges that choose to opt in to Raise.me. Currently there are about 30 schools participating (you can see the list by visiting the website), and the only school in MN so far is the University of MN- Duluth.
o You have to graduate high school with a 3.2 GPA in your core classes to receive these scholarships.
· Elks National Foundation Scholarships 500 scholarships for seniors across the country. Applications are online at www.elks.org/enf/scholars . Must complete and bring to Hopkins Elks (Deadline: 12/1/15).
· SCAD Challenge register by 12/15/15, submissions must be complete by 2/1/16, winners announced 3/1/16. For more information and to apply go to scad.edu/scadchallenge
· Mensa Education and Research Foundation Scholarship Essay Contest write an essay about your career goals and why will achieve them and you could win $300-$1000. For essay rules and to enter visit http://www.mensafoundation.org/scholarships (Deadline: 1/15/16).
· Gates Millennium Scholars full ride scholarship for a diverse students who is pell eligible and has at least a 3.3 gpa. For more information and to apply go to www.gmsp.org (1/14/16).
· Dell Scholars $20,000 scholarship for AVID students who demonstrate financial need with a 2.4 gpa or higher. For more information and to apply go to www.dellscholars.org (1/15/16).
*School specific scholarships below. Note: this is not an extensive list, just what has been sent to us, you should check every school's financial aid webpage for more information about scholarships at their college or university.
Name of Scholarship
Montana State University
University of Missouri
· Skidmore College
· annual scholarships
· www.skidmore.edu www.skidmore.edu/financialaid/merti.php
The University of Iowa
Multiple scholarships for 1st year students
For more information go to www.scholarships.uiowa.edu
Mankato State University
Multiple incoming freshmen scholarships
Automatic academic scholarships
-Concordia college scholarship
-National merit finalists
-Transfer student academic scholarship
Competitive academic scholarships
-Presidential distinction scholarship
· A full tuition scholarship to St. Thomas. You must apply and be accepted to St. Thomas to get this scholarship. Criteria: underrepresented, first generation and graduate from an urban school. For more information and to apply go to www.stthomas.edu/dease
Hays Memorial Scholarship
For freshmen, funds for tuition, room, board and mandatory fees. Requirements: senior, 3.6 gpa or higher, minmium 32 superscore ACT, accepted to Hendrix Early Decision Nov 15 or Feb 1 (at the latest)
1st place-4 year full tuition scholarship to Drake University. Must take the exam between Jan 27-Jan 29.
Trustee Scholarship Competition
4 year full tution scholarship at BU. bu.edu/admissions/trustee
The University of Virginia
Jefferson Scholars Foundation
4 year full tuition scholaship. www.jeffersonscholars.org
ACT Prep Options
· Community Education: Prep Classes contact our community education office for more information.
· Naviance’s PrepMe: Free online option to practice for the ACT. Come to the CCC if you have questions.
· Peterson's Test Prep Guidance Net: Online courses are available for PSAT, ACT or SAT. Contact: www.petersonsTestPrep.com or 877 837-8773
· Hennepin County Library: Access FREE ACT/SAT/PSAT/AP practice tests:go to www.hclib.org
· Books: There are book options by Princeton Review, Barron’s, McGraw Hill and others that you can purchase online, check Amazon for the best price.
*Other places to contact/websites: The following offer test prep options that require payment:
· ACT Ready: offers personal, high quality ACT preparation at a reasonable price to students of all academic abilities and tailored to their needs. Contact: Mary Ann Dorsher and Mary Langfeldt www.actready.net or 612-927-9516
· Aspire Personalized: Offers in-person tutoring for college entrance exams and mathematics. Thore has helped diverse students reach their potential, including a number of 9 point score increases on the ACT and 500 points on the SAT. Aspire Instruction strives to strengthen core academic competencies, study skills, and test taking strategies, so the tutoring benefits students long past the test date. Contact: Thore Dosdall: www.aspireinstruction.com, 320-287-0933
· Huntington Learning Center: Provides one-on-one tutoring with flexible scheduling for both ACT and SAT. Cost: Varies by individual and number of students. Contact: www.huntingtonlearning.com or call 952 922-2488
· Kaplan Test Prep: Offers Prep Courses for PSAT, ACT, or SAT. Options include classroom courses, online courses and private tutoring, and a new option called “ACT Express”. ACT Express is a condensed, 12-hour course. Call 1-800-KAP-TEST for information on any of Kaplan’s test prep options. Click on the link “Find a Free Event” for information about free practice tests in the Twin Cities area. Contact: www.kaptest.com/college
· Princeton Review: PSAT, ACT< and SAT prep courses are available. Options include classroom courses, online courses or private tutoring. Free practice tests and strategy sessions are available for students at various locations throughout the Twin Cities. Contact: www.PrincetonReview.com or 1-800-2-Review
· Sylvan Learning Systems, Inc: ACT and SAT classroom and small group courses are available. Students are encouraged to attend all classes, but can make-up a missed class online. Cost: ACT $888, SAT $988 . Contact: www.educate.com or 952-831-5351
· PrepFactory is a completely FREE ACT prep site (recently showcased on FreeTech4Teachers & being used by more than several hundred other schools), and which features:
o 99th percentile instructors
o thousands of practice questions (which kids seem to love)
o gamification elements to keep kids engaged (also very popular!
o Here's a special invite link if you'd like to check it out: www.prepfactory.com/invite
*specific ACT/SAT prep options in the area, this list is not exhaustive for more information and opportunities check out the above company/organization’s websites.
Location and Date
Washington University in St. Louis high school summer experiences, for more information go to summer experiences.wustl.edu
3131 19th Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55407